APEX works as an independent extension to Forms. You can from any Form pass on parameters for APEX, relevant working variables, like employee, Item_Id, Customer_Id, Vendor_id, or any thing else, and you can combine as many parameters as you wish. Forms will use an open and valid session on the client/user, which is running Forms and perform a deep linking into APEX.
Options after Reports
Oracle Reports is in it’s terminal release Version 18.104.22.168 and is out of support by 2023, extended support 2025. Oracle offers a free Reports transition into BI-Publisher. However this requires a separate WLS server, and a mix of APEX based reporting and Open Source tools might make sence.
Direct setup based upon version 12c – or as addon to Forms Value-upgrade
1) A specification per App_ID/PAGE_ID, Here you list all relevant variables per page, that are able to receive parameters.
2) A specification listed to the Forms Value-upgrade Right click API. Here you specify per defined call, which screen item(s) from the Form to pass to which application/page (ref. the illustration shown to the right).
APEX master template
Based on APEX version 18.1, Universal Theme, features have been added providing the frame for any application. It has;
1) A common authentication with Forms/Reports, the “Simple single sign on”
2) Role based menu and authorization, built into a native APEX side menu object.
3) Role based default Values, applicable to any item on the screen
4) Role base designer enabling you dynamically to show or hide page items (differently for dífferent roles).
5) You can link application to application via the side menu, and it will act as one, based on the APP_ID/PAGE_ID definition (see above)
6) You can use the application on Mobile devices, both smartphone and tablets, thus accommodating most/all of your mobile needs.
APEX can be deployed on the same or a different server as the Forms application. It can be deployed with ORDS through WLS or ORDS through Tomcat, IIS or any other web-server certified for ORDS, which then is deployed through Apache or OHS, i.e. no further Oracle license is required.